ADORE YOUR BODY FOR IT HOUSES THE DREAMS AND DESIRES OF YOUR WONDERFUL MIND
I have been searching for a store that carries organic, non-toxic and non-carcinogenic ingredients in their beauty products. I feel that not only eating healthy is important but what I put on my body is equally important. Have you ever thought of how many chemicals are in our shampoos, conditioners, creams etc…
We are exposed to so many chemicals throughout the day, why do we need to add more through our beauty routine? But do we need to sacrifice beauty, style and glamour? No way!!!
We absorb up to 80% of what we put into our skin. Here is a list of some of the potential hazards in our everyday products that we should avoid. These ingredients have been proven to cause skin allergies, increase the risk of cancer, infertility, birth defects, reproductive problems and learning disabilities:
- Benzoyl Peroxide: Used in acne products and can cause DNA damage in human cells and is a possible tumor promoter.
- DEA, MEA, TEA: A foam booster that causes skin and eye irritation leading to dermatitis.
- Dioxin: Does not appear on the label but is found in antibacterial ingredients, such as triclosan, emulsifiers, PEG’s and other cleansers like Sodium Laurel Sulfate. It potentially can cause cancer, reduce immunity and lead to nervous system disorders.
- FD&C Color and Pigments: Synthetic colors derived from coal tar contain heavy metal salts that deposit toxins in the skin.
- Phthalates: Usually not listed on products. Can damage kidney, liver, decrease sperm count and result in early development in girls and boys.
- Sodium Laurel Sulfate: Used in car washes, garage floor cleaners, engine degreasers and 90% of personal care products that foam. Leads to diarrhea, skin irritation and eye damage.
- Fragrance: This represents an undisclosed mixture of chemicals that make the product smell nice. They have been associated with skin allergies, dermatitis, respiratory distress and potential effects on the reproductive system.
These are just a few of the controversial chemicals in our products. Here is a link from the EWG, the Environmental Working Group who tests every product on the market and rates them according to their safety:
So, you can imagine my shear happiness when I stumbled upon a little jewel the other day right here in Wellesley.
The stores name is Follain and is owned by Tara Foley. They are located right on Central Street in Wellesley with other locations in Nantucket, the South End in Boston and Washington, DC. She has searched for companies throughout the U.S. that manufacture with the purest ingredients and have your health and well-being at the heart of their mission. In 2013, she opened Follain her first store and prides herself on being eco-friendly. Certain liquid products can be refilled in their beautiful glass bottles.
They carry a long list of amazing products but here are a few of my favorite picks so far:
1.RICA– Butter All Over 22$: Produced by a southern family whose recipes for beauty date back to the owner’s great great grandmother. From their kitchen they produce healthy and effective beauty products with love in every batch just for YOU. There are no colorants, parabens, sulfates or petroleum.
My Impression: This is a very thick but light and airy cream. At first, I thought this is a little difficult to spread all over my body and I may feel like a greased up monkey. Well, my skin soaked up the “butter” very quickly and my skin was super soft. I had no problems getting dressed right after as the lotion soaked in immediately. If you do not have dry skin all over this is a perfect solution for those areas, such as the hands, feet and elbows that tend to get dry in the cold months. This is a great gift for a friend, teacher or someone special in your life for the coming holiday season.
2. Beridan Naturals- Botanical Apothecary- Simple Butter 14$: This company prides themselves on 100% natural skincare that are free from artificial ingredients, alcohol, added water, synthetics, toxins, dyes, fillers and parabens. Their products are formulated with natural,organic and ethically sourced ingredients and made by hand.
My Impression: If anyone suffers from eczema as I do you will appreciate this little jar of LOVE. I have always avoided the hydrocordisone creams (I used them years ago when the flair ups were so terrible) and have struggled to find products that will nourish my skin without added fragrances. The fragrances make the condition worse! This is not only for people with eczema but anyone with dry skin resulting from washing the dishes (that would be most of us!) or just the plain old cold weather. I am going to keep a little jar in my purse at all times.
3. Tammy Fender Epi-Peel: Their products are made from 100% botanical formulas that enrich, purify and protect the skin. They recognize that the skin is our largest organ and so what we put on it is very important. The flowers and plants they use to create their products are from organic, food grade ingredients that are ultra-nourishing. I love her epi-peel, especially her packaging that comes with a head band to pull your hair bag for when you apply the scrub on your face. You wash your face with the scrub and then leave on for 5 minutes and your face will feel amazing after.
My Impression: Although the packaging was beautiful and inviting, I was a little apprehensive about putting something that said “peel” on the label on my face. Wow, I was wrong. This is a delicate exfoliant that you can use 2-3 times per week. My face felt so soft and clean after my epi-peel that I can’t wait till the next time I get to slough off all the dead skin and feel refreshed again!!
4. Organic Bath Co- Stress Less Scrib 27$.: All their products contain good for you ingredients that are organic and Fair Trade Certified. Let me tell you this stress less body scrub worked wonders and softened up any and all rough patches.
My Impression: I used this scrub all over my body in the morning. Even though it is a stress less scrub I am trying to really de-stress these days so I am looking for anything that will help. Other options are: Java Jolt, Mocha Madness or spiced cacao and more… Those will get you going in the morning even before you can get your first cup of coffee.
I did indulge in more products that I loved but am a little embarrassed to admit as I don’t truly want to divulge how much I spent. I always have lipbalm in my purse and this is my new fave, The Hurraw! sun balm for your lips (4.20$) which is all natural and vegan.
I also purchased one of their soy candles which are so calming. I had my own mini spa one night and slept so well after using my relaxing, nourishing and eco-friendly products. They carry many more lines of products that include shampoos, conditioners, lotions and more… Don’t add up how much I spent.. It was all worth the trip to Follain with my daughter, who came willingly with me.