This picture sums up my perfect winter meal. Sweet, filling and piled high with my favorite vegetarian proteins. I really don’t think anything else could bring a smile to my face on this rainy and cold day in February. Such comfort food! I think this will become your new food obsession as well.
You know when you are really in the need for comfort food but these kind of foods typically take hours to make? I always seem to have most of these ingredients in my cabinets and fridge so I can whip it up in no time at all. It took me tops about one hour from the prep work to finish.
I stumbled upon this recipe from Elissa Goodman and I am now addicted. The ingredients are all nutrient dense and rich in vitamins, minerals and fiber.
Quinoa helps maintain a healthy gut and contains disease fighting antioxidants.
- Chickpeas: Are rich in manganese, folate and iron and will help control blood sugar levels, increase satiety which helps with weight loss, improves digestion because of its high fiber content, helps protect against heart disease and cancer and it is the perfect plant based source of protein.
- Quinoa: Is a gluten-free complete protein that will aid in weight loss because of its high fiber content (get the scoop here on fiber), supports a healthy heart, helps maintain a healthy gut and contains disease fighting antioxidants.
- Delicata squash: Is high in antioxidants to fight off those free radicals we face everyday, boosts the immune system and reduces inflammation, rich in vitamin C to fight off those nasty colds and flus, rich in vitamin A and keeps bones healthy.
- Pistachios are known to lower bad cholesterol and boost eye health, aids in weight control and improves diabetes symptoms.
Chickpeas help protect against heart disease and cancer.
So here you go! Now, that you have the recipe there are no excuses not to make this delicata squash a staple in your house as well. Let me know your thoughts in the comments below. Would you add any other ingredients or take any ingredients out?
- 2 medium delicata squash
- 1 Tbs maple syrup
- 1-2 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup quinoa
- 3 Tbs shallots, diced
- 1 cup garbanzo beans
- juice from 1 lemon
- lemon zest
- ½ cup pistachios
- ⅓ cup parsely
- ¼ fresh mint
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Wash and dry squash and scrape and remove seeds. Brush each squash with maple syrup and olive oil, and sprinkle with a little sea salt.. Bake for 30-35 minutes,, or until squash is tender and pierces with a fork.
- Cook quinoa according to package directions.
- In a medium skillet, heat olive oil. Add shallots and chickpeas and sautee until shallots are softened. Fold in cooked quinoa and add lemon zest and lemon juice, sea salt and drizzle with olive oil, fresh parsley and mint. Toss to combine.
- Remove squash from oven and fill with quinoa blend. Top with pistachio and serve warm.
Sending love and light,