It takes a little while to love chia seeds but after testing a few recipes I now love the texture of these little crunchy seeds and their gelatinous texture. Chia seeds, Saliva hispanica are tiny little superfood seeds that are native to Guatemala and Mexico. They are the richest source of plant-based omega-3’s, easily digested and loaded with important nutrients:
- Omega-3 fatty acids
Benefits of Chia Seeds
These powerhouse seeds support:
1. Digestive health: A source of fiber, especially soluble fiber which acts like a broom on the digestive tract, cleaning it out to ensure optimum digestion and improved bowel movements. In addition, the fiber acts as a prebiotic to provide food for the beneficial bacteria residing in the gut.
2. Brain health: Contains omega-3 fatty acids, specifically ALA which is the precursor to EPA and DHA. Omega-3’s which have been widely studies on their effects on brain health. One study from 2018 revealed that students who consumed 5 grams of chia seeds daily for 21 days resulted in improved academic performance than the group that did not consume chia seeds.
3. Strong bones: Rich in calcium and manganese , the 2 minerals integral to bone health. Manganese is involved in bone metabolism and calcium helps maintain bone strength.
4. Optimum blood sugar levels: Due to their high content of ALA and fiber, these little seeds are a powerhouse for balancing blood sugar levels and can have been shown to improve insulin resistance. In one study from 2013, adding either ground or whole chia seeds to white bread reduced the glycemic response in 13 healthy participants.
5. A healthy heart: High in antioxidants and fiber, chia seeds have been shown to reduce inflammation and reduce the risk for heart disease. Additionally, they are high in omega-3 fatty acids that have been shown to reduce blood pressure, and improve cholesterol levels while reducing inflammation.
I start with a simple and basic recipe and then add in superfoods depending on what my body may need on a given day.
✔️ 1 cup Elmhurst cashew milk
✔️1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and/or nutmeg
✔️1/4 teaspoon alcohol-free vanilla extract
✔️ 2 tablespoons chia seeds (white or black)
✔️ 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
✔️ Fresh berries to garnish
- Combine all the ingredients in a glass mason jar. Shake or whisk until mixed.
- Cover and refrigerate for 3-4 hours
- Optional add-ins : Bee pollen, collagen, a sprinkle of stevia, pecans, walnuts, or top with shredded unsweetened coconut flakes
Here are some other options for incorporating chia seeds into your daily nourishing routine:
- Two Peas in a Pod Lemon Chia Seed Dressing
- My Fresh Perspective Chocolate Chip Cashew Cookie Dough Protein Bites
- Minimalist Baker Easy Seed Crackers
NL’s GutLove Smoothie Guide