This dish not only looks great but is simple to make for you and your family. This is a classic family dish that I have made healthier just for you! Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of Vitamin A.
They are also a good source of :
Now that is a loaded starchy vegetable. Did you know that they have a carbohydrate density of 17%? The term “carbohydrate density” refers to the percentage of food mass made up of
carbohydrates – minus the fiber component. Most carbohydrate dense food will end
up as sugar in your body, which correlates with the blood sugar spike after you eat a
high carb food. We at NL strive for a carb density lower than 30%. Bring on the sweet potatoes!!
- 2 medium sweet potato, chopped into 1inch pieces
- • 1 small red bell pepper, chopped into 1inch pieces
- • 2 medium eggplant, sliced lengthwise
- • 3 zucchini, sliced lengthwise
- • 2 cups spinach
- • 12oz ricotta
- • 2oz pesto
- • 14.5oz tin chopped tomatoes
- • 3 tbsp olive oil
- • Gluten free lasagne sheets
- • 1 tsp oregano
- • 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- • ½ tsp salt
- • ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- • 1 cup grated parmesan
- • Handful fresh basil, to serve
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Add 1.5 quarts of water to a medium saucepan, on medium-high heat and bring to the boil.
- Peel and chop sweet potatoes and chop red pepper into 1-inch pieces.
- Add sweet potato and red pepper to boiling water and reduce to a simmer for 12-14 minutes.
- Slice zucchini and eggplant lengthways (to fit your oven proof dish) into ¼ inch slices.
- Lay eggplant slices onto a baking sheet and drizzle both sides evenly with olive oil (1tbsp per side). Bake for 8-10 minutes
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a separate saucepan, add spinach. Once spinach starts to wilt, add 8oz ricotta and 2oz pesto. Stir to combine and remove from heat.
- Drain potatoes and pepper, add back to the saucepan with chopped tomatoes, oregano, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Blend together until smooth with hand held blender.
- Layer zucchini and baked eggplant into an oven proof dish. Next add your tomato-based sauce, spread evenly.
- Add lasagne sheet layer, then spread with spinach, ricotta and pesto mixture, repeat this layering process once more – zucchini, eggplant, tomato sauce, pasta and spinach and ricotta.
- Finish with one further layer of pasta and top with 4oz plain ricotta cheese, spread evenly and sprinkle with grated parmesan to cover.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until golden.
- Sprinkle with fresh basil to serve.